Sunday, February 15, 2009

Contemplating My Resources

A transparent man calmly regards the Pencil Nebula, a remnant of an exploded star. Seven Pentacles, unexploded stars, wheel through space.

This is the Quantum Tarot. I'll be checking the Little White Book a lot, as many of the concepts are "out of this world", quite literally! To me, the appeal of the deck is the ideas behind it. What other deck says this of the Seven of Pentacles, my daily draw?

"Up and down quarks form the composite particles that make up the nucleus of an atom and thus most of the matter in the universe. The other four flavours of quark [top and bottom, charmed and strange] tend to be unstable and don't seem to serve any obvious purpose. The 7 of Pentacles represents this apparently careless abundance. In traditional decks, it is often depicted as the card of harvest. We have gathered a lot of stuff, probably more than we'll ever need. The 7 of Pentacles is not about questioning this surplus but appreciating it. We are being asked to count our blessings and enjoy what we have."

In either case, how does the Seven of Pentacles relate to my life? Really, my life is pretty wonderful right now. I have set myself on a certain course, and am now reaping the benefits. This is a reward for foresight! I should be enjoying it, and not worrying about what I should be doing next, and how quickly! But I've been fussing. "Oh, no, I'm late starting the primary deck reflection." Phooey. There are 45 perfectly good weeks left in this year. "Oh, no, I have four tarot decks but I'm not 100% comfortable with all of them." Sheesh. Four decks is three more than I need for the PDR. Study increases comfort. Good grief, I have the leisure to do the PDR in the first place. Did I really expect to have studied all the cards and read all the interpretive philosophies in three days, and attained all knowledge too? What would I do for the rest of the year, let alone the rest of my life?

I also know the card as one of waiting for the harvest, and doing by not doing. Let the crop grow itself. Harvest will come in due season.

The 7 of Pentacles is the card that flew out of the deck when I was attempting to shuffle it for the first time. It has a slight crease, due to my impatience shoving it back in, and now it's my draw of the day. Hmm. I don't think that's a coincidence. This deck can speak, if I have the ears to listen!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting reflections and I agree - no coincidence. This reminds me of when a friend of mine creased the Knight of Cups in my Tarot of Dreams deck (gasp!). She keeps getting this card over and over... and she really doesn't like the Scorpio energies at all. I have sensed so much unresolved anger that she 'dumps' on me lately that I've had to distance myself from her. That crease in the Knight of Cups card could have warned me ahead of time, had I listened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a different animal your 7 of Pent is in this deck! I always associate Marge Piercy's poem when I see this card. It may not resonate so strongly with your Quantum but does will your other decks. Leaving a site addy for the poem. http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/Marge-Piercy/8148

    Would love to see the card along with your thoughts as copyright allows. (Still trying to figure that one out myself for my own blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link, Seafra! It would never have occurred to me that someone had written a poem about the Seven of Pentacles. Every year I plant a garden more ambitious than the one before, and I strongly relate to the imagery on the RWS card. I imagine that those are pumpkins/squashes, going to become orange like his tunic...in time. One day I, too, will succeed in growing some kind of squash that likes my garden. I just wonder why there isn't a snail in the card, the way there is in the Nine of P.?

    ReplyDelete