Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mini-break: Spirit Guide Spread

After reading Gary Karp's spirit guide spread, I was curious to try it. I went to the Spreads forum, and found a couple. For the first reading, I chose the nine-card spread whose first question is "Do I have a spirit guide?", because it would seem silly to try communicating with someone who didn't exist. I chose to use the DruidCraft instead of the Quantum for this particular spread, because I'm more comfortable asking DruidCraft that kind of a question. Quantum seems more appropriate for questions to do with the Prime Material plane, if you will. Now, I'm still working out what all this means, but I'll do a preliminary post, here, and try not to jump back and forth too much between earthly and spiritual logic.

The questions:
1. Do I have a spirit guide? -The Hermit
2. How can I contact my spirit guide? -King of Pentacles
3. Will I make contact with my spirit guide soon? - VIII Strength
4. Will we communicate mentally only? -XV Cernunnos
5. Has my spirit guide been with me always? -Prince of Pentacles
6. Will my guide give me information about my work/home matters/relationships? -Ten of Pentacles
7. Can my guides teach me about other realities? -The Tower
8. Does my spirit guide appear in physical form? -Queen of Pentacles
9. Final outcome? -V High Priest
Nine cards, five majors, four pentacles, three of them courts.

1. Why was I not surprised to see the Hermit in the first position? That card dogged me for years, since I started keeping track of my readings, when a former relationship was falling apart. He kept following me through my twists and turns, turning up in fully 50% of my readings. I counted. He stopped bugging me since I left the city and its insanity and moved to the mountains, to a "metropolis" of about 40 people and 20 dogs. I thought this might be the the Hermit's little joke, but this is a new deck. And I recalled, for the first time in years, a spiritual meeting I once attended, where the lady reading auras said (whereas everyone else had a nifty animal guide) that there was somebody in a brown robe standing by me. The DC Hermit even has a brown robe. I jumped in my seat when I saw that.

4. I am not sure exactly how to interpret this, but Cernunnos looks, here, almost like a vision. It was when I started receiving insightful visions, when my life seemed to be crashing down around me, that I turned to spiritual matters and started getting the Hermit in so many of my readings.

5. Has my spirit guide been with me always? The Prince of Pentacles shows a young man seated on a standing horse, his shield raised. He intently watches something ahead of him off the card. His sword is drawn, but he is not in a striking pose. Now, I could be reading things into this to suit my fancy, but when that same relationship was falling apart, is also when I took up a form of martial art, because it was easier to deal with physical pain than with the emotional pain I was experiencing. I also started defending myself and my interests, and began taking an interest in spiritual matters.


6. Will my guide give me information about work/home matters/relationships? I see the 10 of Pentacles as a domestic scene. When I started receiving visions, it was at this same time, and the insights often referred to relationships and domestic arrangements.


7. Can my guides teach me about other realities? At two times in my life, related to aforementioned events, when "my life was overrrrr", I had a strange, I'd almost say supernatural experience, of being gifted with a way of looking at the situation inside out, which made me realize it was a wonderful opportunity in the greatest sense, a brand new day with a brand new vision, with possibilities for a brand new life. I can't quite put this into words, because they were experiences beyond words.


I'll leave off for now, as I have more thinking to do and I don't want to bore you either. (Also, company has arrived.) I am tempted to believe that there is more to this spirit guide business than I first thought, but I'm still not grasping the entirety of this reading.

3 comments:

  1. It may well take a while to suss it out. It often seems that they know the answers but you have to learn them yourself. Easier said than done!

    I'm doing a spirit guide one in a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting cards and reading. I am glad you decided to take the leap. I think the Hermit is meant to teach and guide you. Have fun with it.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the hermit card is so appropriate, isn't it? Like fireforst said, the full meaning of this reading may not be apparant yet. The wonder of the PDR blog, eh? You can revisit and reappraise in time.

    ReplyDelete